Can I sue if my vice principal has threatened to strangle me with my tie? 3 Answers as of May 22, 2014

I go to a private school. My vice principal has threatened to strangle me with my tie if he has to tell me to push it up again. Can I take legal action against him?

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Your principal is making a joke. You do not have the right to sue everyone who says or does something that you do not like. He has a right if free speech. We cannot become so P C that we lose the ability to speak to each other or in public as that chills our precious right to free speech that is guaranteed to us as Americans.
Sondak Law Group | Alisa Sondak
It sounds like the principle,has committed assault - assault when someone causes you to be in fear of bodily harm. Unfortunately in the Astarte of New York, the police do not like to make arrests if the assault is not also accompanied with battery, meaning the principle has to physically assault you in order to have the police get involved. In terms of a Tort action for personal injury, in New York in order to sue you need to have sustained physical injury.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
Despite the number of ambulance chasing type attorneys in NY, I can't imagine any lawyer entertaining that comment as a basis for a lawsuit. I honestly hope that the question was posted in jest.