Can I sue if I was paid under minimum wage? 3 Answers as of November 06, 2012

My job paid me under minimum wage for two months. Can I sue? How do I go about doing that? Or what can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
You can sue or you can file a Labor Board complaint at However, the first thing to do is point issue out to your employer and see if they will voluntarily remedy.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/13/2011
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Generally, your employer is obligated to pay you minimum wage. However, this requirement may change if you are a server or if you are considered an exempt employee. The FLSA allows employers to pay less than minimum wage for "tipped employers" such as servers; however, that wage plus the amounts of times must add up to at least minimum wage. If you believe your employer has not paid you properly, schedule an appointment with an attorney to discuss your case in person.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/6/2012
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
Contact the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: