Can I sue if I have unlincensed dental work performed? 3 Answers as of May 20, 2011

Last year I found out the man working on my teeth was not licensed. I was told he and his sister (who both did drilling, etc.) could work on my teeth as long as their father, the doctor was in the office. When the son was arrested, his father, the doctor promised me he would make sure any problems I had would be fixed. At the time I had several issues. The dentist’s daughter also worked on my mouth. I waited almost a year for the doctor to hire a new dentist. Now, the new dentist wants to charge me for the repairs. If I can't find a lawyer to help me, can I sue him myself? I went through several important dates, including my son's wedding anticipating my front tooth falling out. This has been emotionally draining. I paid over $6,000 to the dentist and was told by a dentist who works at the clinic in Florida that I would have problems the rest of my life because the caps in my mouth did not fit securely. Any guidance you can give would be truly appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
You can always represent yourself in any case, but in Florida, the hoops you have to jump through make it very difficult to bring a claim by yourself against a health care provider, and dentists are included in the category of "health care provider". Because of the fact the guy was not licensed, the good news is that your would not have to jump through those hoops, but the bad news is that he probably would not have health insurance. However, if you want to sue the dentist who allowed his son & daughter to practice dentistry without a license, if the father is licensed, then you probably do have to jump through those hoops. I would recommend that you consult with a personal injury attorney who is familiar with health care malpractice so he or she is aware of those "hoops".
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/20/2011
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
You can see if a medical malpractice attorney will take case but it will be difficult. You could always file your own lawsuit.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/19/2011
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
yes, but the key is whether there is liability insurance.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: