Can I sue if I got hit when crossing in a pedestrian lane? 11 Answers as of June 05, 2014

I was hit when crossing in a pedestrian lane by a drunk driver. The only injury I sustained was bruised knee. We called 911, got a police report and I went to the hospital by ambulance, did the X-ray and everything is OK. Can I sue for the pain and suffering and the experience I had to go through? Especially if this was a drunk driver. I’m only 17 years old so my parents would most likely do the suing I suppose. But how do we go about it?

LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
Yes you can and If the drunk driver does not have insurance then you may still be able to receive a settlement.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
The easiest way is to find a personal injury attorney who will work with you on a contingency basis. Meaning, of you win your suit, the lawyer takes a portion if the winnings or settlement. If you don't want an attorney, there are forms available on the internet.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
It would be worth making a claim with the other insurance company.
Of course you have a claim. You should find a lawyer who specializes in injury cases, ASAP. If you don?t know one, you can contact your LOCAL bar association for a referral. Your statute of limitation is 2 years from reaching 18, so you can wait and handle it yourself, or your parents can handle it now. In any event, please see a lawyer now, as there are things to be done to insure that you get the best settlement.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You can sue the question is always how much you can get. That is usually based on how much you medical expenses were and if there is any lasting injury.
    JV Law Group, LLP
    JV Law Group, LLP | Thu Vo
    Yes you can sue. You should consult with a personal injury attorney so he/she can advise you of the steps to take.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    Yes, you can definitely sue this person. You should retain counsel who can prepare your insurance claim. The insurance company should give you money for your injuries and for your pain and suffering. If there was no insurance, then you will need to sue the person to recover money for your damages from them personally.
    You need to contact a personal injury lawyer in the area where you live and the accident occurred and he or she can advise you as to the procedure in your jurisdiction.
    Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
    In California, medical specials include what was paid by you or on your behalf for related treatment. General damages include what is referred to as "pain and suffering". Lawsuits claiming $10,000 or less must be brought in small claims.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Yes - your parents would have to file a suit for you for your pain and suffering.