Can I sue if I fell after tripping over a broken piece of cement in the parking area of the beauty salon I was going into? 4 Answers as of January 02, 2017

I suffered a broken knee cap and hit my head on a parking median.

Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
In Michigan, if the defect was "Open" and obvious, then the landowner owes no duty to you. It is not fair, but it is the law.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
There may be a case here. Many attorneys would turn this case down, because of Michigan?s ?open and obvious? rule. It says that you can?t sue if the dangerous condition was open and obvious, because the injured person should have avoided it. However, I believe that this particular case may fall into an exception, and this should be discussed.
You might have a case based on many circumstances.
Under Michigan law, if the defect was "readily visible to a person of average intelligence through casual inspection," the answer is "NO." So, you need to take pictures of the defect from the angle you were walking, without any artificial illumination, in order for a lawyer to determine if the defect was easily visible.