Can I sue the homeowners for having an underage drinking party where my child was sexually assaulted? 22 Answers as of January 08, 2014

My 17-year-old daughter went to a sleepover with her cheerleader friends and it was later discovered the parent knew there was underage drinking. It was also discovered my child was sexually assaulted while all the kids at this party were passed out on the floor of her house. The boy was later found guilty and nothing was ever done about the adult hosting the party. Can she be held liable for anything?

Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Often, these adults in these situations can get in criminal trouble. Conceptually, the adult could be liable depending upon the evidence of their involvement.
Vasilaros Legal,LLC
Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
Yes, in Florida, there is a specific statute that makes a homeowner criminally (and Civilly) liable for damages that arise from activities involving underage drinking if the homeowner knew of the drinking.
You can sue as long as you have the $ 5000 retainer for the attorney.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Potentially yes. When did this happen? There are different statutes of limitations that would apply to different legal theories of recovery. But, do not delay, as much needs to be done before a matter like this can be pursued. It should absolutely be looked into.
There may be some sort of law suit there.? Contact a lawyer that deals in premises and host liability.
    In Michigan, probably not, as to the drinking, as I found out in court. If the parents had knowledge of assaultive behavior of the kids, then perhaps.
    Yes, you should consult a P.I. lawyer.
    You can sue the adult if the adult knew.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes if they were negligent
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Yes, to the extent that the parent(s) knew that alcohol was being consumed and that kids had passed out on the floor and did nothing to guard against an assault, they can be held liable for the injuries caused by the underage assailant who had been consuming alcohol on the premises.
    Steven Meyer | Steven Meyer
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter. There may be a claim against the owner of the home. You really need to speak right away to an attorney in your area who is experienced in handling this type of claim. There are strict time limits for filing a claim in court.
    If they knew about the alcohol, yes, you can sue them civilly. I would definitely seek out an attorney.
    Yes. I strongly suggest you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A. | John W. Merting
    Yes, the homeowners insurance policy may provide coverage.
    It would be your daughter who could sue. It certainly seems that she would have a case and that the homeowners insurance policy might cover the damages for negligently allowing the underage drinking and the boy to be present.
    Ganim Injury Lawyers | George W. Ganim
    You can sue the owner of the house and the person that assaulted your daughter.
    Probably. Does she have the money to pay? Is there homeowner's or liability insurance? Talk with a local attorney about the situation. One last thought: how will this affect your daughter to have to keep bringing this up?
    You can, or if your daughter is now 18, she can. See an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area ASAP. Keep in mind, though, your daughter will have to explain what happened, sign affidavits, undergo depositions, etc. This will be uncomfortable, to say the least.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    I sued a parent for negligent supervision having to do with a ski trip. The underaged child went off the end of the slope, broke her neck and died after hitting her head on a rock. The supervising parent was not present doing what is required to supervise. So you may be able to pursue a claim against the parents.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Subject yo numerous factors.... yes.
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
    There are areas of liability to the host parents for knowingly allowing alcohol at a party and possibly for the sexual assault, depending on the overall circumstances of the events.