Can I sue him so he can take the responsibility for the medical bills? 2 Answers as of October 29, 2015

I was assaulted along with my daughter. The perpetrator was finally sent to jail after over a year being in a mental institution. My family has advised to sue this person since my medical bills are over $60,000 and unfortunately this has affected my credit. I already did the paperwork for Victim's Compensation but I haven't had a response from them. I don't want financial compensation for myself I just want that medical debt to go away. I was also told that if his family has any money they have to pay but that seems really unfair. Please advice. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Yes you can sue,but you need to evaluate collectibility and see if the perpetrator has assets or is a homeowner to see if hr can satisfy the Judgment. Contact a lawyer to see if there are chances of collecting.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/29/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Of course you can sue, but if you get a judgment will you be able to collect? If the perp is wealthy, fine. Otherwise most lawyers would not want to take your case. Be patient, you should get something from Victim?s fund. You should also check the court records to see if the perp was ordered to pay you anything as part of his sentence.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/26/2015
Click to View More Answers: