Can I sue her for the past due balance or the remaining car balance? 7 Answers as of August 04, 2017

I co-signed for my roommate in 2014 for a car. I pulled my credit because I wanted to start looking for a house. I have seen that she hasn't paid the car since September 2016.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Sure, you can do that but collecting might be an issue. Especially if the car has been repossessed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2017
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Yes, you can.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/4/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
What does the contract you have with her say?
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/3/2017
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/3/2017
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
Yes, if she has not already filed a bankruptcy you can sue her, but if she hasn't made car payments for that long she is probably headed towards bankruptcy and you don't want to waste your time or money pursuing her and then have her file a bankruptcy at that time. You should call her and ask her to sell the car and get the debt paid off.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 8/3/2017
    Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
    Since you and her are both equally liable on the car, you can only sue her if there was an agreement that she would pay for the car.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 8/3/2017
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    It might be premature if the lender has not yet called upon you to make the payments. You might start by talking to her and getting the whole story. Sometimes a credit report is mistaken. Do write a memo of your discussion with her as soon as it is over. And try to convince her to catch up on the payments.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/3/2017
Click to View More Answers: