Can I sue a health clinic for scaring me about the side effects of a drug? How? 9 Answers as of June 26, 2015

I have been on methadone for years and I have asked countless time about the side affects of long term side affect of my health and every time I was told they cannot answer that because there has never been any case studies on long term methadone side affects. About 5 years ago, I had a scare with my heart and it really got to me because my dad died at 49 from a heart attack, so it really made me think about my health. I recall laying on that table and talking to the surgeon and he ask me how much do I smoke Day and I answered him none no more, well he said that my chart shows you smoke two packs Day, and sadly he said everyone says they are quitting when they are laying on my table, I told him I'm not everyone, and from that day forward I never had a norther cigarette. The way I look at it life is a great motivate. So what I am saying is that if they would have told me that I was risking my life for being in this clinic, it would have made me get off methadone along time ago. A few months ago I did some research of my own, and it scared the crap out of me and I am happy to say that I'm finally after 17 years I'm on my way (I was on mg and I'm down to Mg ). For years I was struggling to get off and one day my counselor said that if I was a diabetic would I feel guilty of taking insolent and I said heck no well she said that taking methadone is no different so for years the thought of me getting off methadone was like the thought of committing suicide. Now after finding out the possible side affects, it made me think ( thank god I'm not a diabetic ), being on methadone is not like being a diabetic, because if I stop taking my methadone most likely i will not die, and you could if you stooped taking your insolent. I'm not looking for money the main reason I would like to See the clinic is to stop letting people be on the clinic longer than a couple years, and stop scarring people about the withdraws of methadone.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You asked a long question, part of which is hard to understand. But the thrust of the question appears to be that you want to know if the medical clinic can be sued for keeping patients on methadone for a long time because methadone has side effects, and they discourage people from giving up methadone. The answer that there are no legal grounds for a legal action apparent in what you wrote.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/26/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Probably not for just scaring you, but you may have a malpractice case for them getting you hooked. Consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer that does medical malpractice cases. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/26/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
I don't think you have a claim, however, even if you did you would have to bring the case within 2 years of the date of incident.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/26/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Living well is the best revenge. You take care of you. Methadone may be the best treatment for some people, others, not. It's not up to you to make that decision for them.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/26/2015
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
A Montana jury would laugh at a methadone user complaining about a the health clinic following federal regulations. Still looking for external sources to blame? Your recovery continues.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 6/26/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    No, you have no damages.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/26/2015
    Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
    Your question rambles too much for me to be sure what the facts are. I do not see what you really are complaining about the clinic. They never told you it was safe and everyone knows any narcotic is bound to have some potentially bad side affects. You seem to be saying you have been taking it for 17 years! But you don't say the Clinic scared you, rather that the independent research you did is what alarms you. So I do not really understand what you are claiming. Moreover, how sympathetic do you think a trier of fact is going to be to someone who kept up a drug habit for 17 years and when initially asked about how much he smoked lied to the Dr. and then quit smoking?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/25/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Of course you can sue. However (thanks to the doctor lobby) Med (and Dental) Mal cases are quite difficult. First, one must obtain a certification from an independent doctor that there was negligence. This is where the claim usually stops, as most lawyers will expect the client to cover the costs of this review/report (up to $5,000). Next, most malpractice insurance policies have a provision for approval of any settlement by the insured doctor. That doctor, human nature being what it is, will often refuse to approve any settlement, as he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Finally, there is a cap on how much can be awarded for pain and suffering, thus making these cases unattractive to lawyers. There are lawyers who specialize in Med Mal; your local bar association may be able to refer you to one.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/25/2015
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Presumably you are an opiate/opiod addict. You lose respect when you appear to blame others for your addiction. You can find your answers readily on the internet. You have side effects caused by methadone. You have severe side effects of your addiction. You will have side effects if you quit methadone.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: