Can I sue a former employer for slandering my reputation? 9 Answers as of November 08, 2013

I used to work for nonprofit organization that serves deaf and hard of hearing people within the community. I was able to quit and got a new job. The stress level is very high and the CEO has a tremendous ability to destroy a lot of staff onboard. This happened to me and the CEO still continuing to slander my name. The deaf and hard of hearing community is very small, and I value my reputation.

Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Without knowing exactly what the CEO is saying about you, I cannot evaluate whether you have claims for slander or libel (defamation). Note, however, that you cannot sue for slander or libel merely because someone expresses negative opinions about you. You can only sue if false statements of fact are made against you. If this CEO is merely expressing negative opinions about you, you would have no claim. It is very hard to win claims for slander and libel, but if you want to pursue this, you will have to retain legal counsel. And these claims are very expensive to pursue. Lawyers do not ordinarily take these cases on a contingency-you will have to pay legal fees if you want to pursue the case.
This is not an easy question to answer without all of the facts and circumstances, you will need to engage an attorney to get a valid opinion.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you have suffered monetary damages. Slander is very difficult to prove.
You can sue her.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
You may sue, but you must show actual $$ damages. No speculative damages. Your actual damages must be measurable. You are not likely to win anything.
    Talk with a local attorney. First, slander is very specific and it has to hold you up to shame. If the CEO says you were lazy and not very bright, that may not rise to the level of slander. If he says you were a pedophile, that would. Second, even if you sue and win, will the CEO be able to pay your damages? Defamation suits are very expensive and unless the circumstances are very good, I doubt that you will get an attorney to take it on a contingency basis.
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    You might be able to. Usually you have only one year statute of limitations. Consult with an attorney.
    Law Offce of Richard N. Grey | Richard N. Grey
    It may be possible to sue for defamation. More information is needed as to what specific defamatory statements against you were made.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    If you are being slandered then you may have a cause of action. The defense to an action for slander is that the alleged defamatory comments are true. If untrue and you have verifiable damages, you should consider initiating an action.