Can I sue for personal injury for losing part of a finger? 43 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I lost part of a finger and now have screws and a plate in my thumb. Can i sue the home owners insurance over this? I got bills from it and lost wages.

Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law
Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law | Timothy Jones
Without more facts I cannot answer your question. Generally speaking, if a homeowner's negligence causes you to suffer an injury, then you do have the right to pursue a claim against the homeowner.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Maybe whose fault for your injury?
It depends upon how you were injured. Consult with a personal injury lawyer right away to tell more. Good luck.
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
Thanks for your inquiry. You can pretty much sue for anything; however, the question is what is the probability that you will be successful. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of the situation to be able to give you an adequate analysis of your case. There are many questions that need to be answered first.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
The answer to your question will depend on how you lost part of your finger. If the homeowner was somehow negligent, then the answer is yes. If the homeowner had no way to anticipate that you could be harmed and had no negligence, then the answer may be no. I would really need much more information yo answer your question properly. If you do not have an attorney and would like to discuss you situation in more detail, you can reach me through the telephone numbers listed below. There is no fee for the telephone consultation and with personal injury cases, which your case would be if valid, there is no legal fee to the client unless and until we are successful on your behalf.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    It depends where it happened. If it happened at work, it's a work comp injury. If it happened at someone else's property, and they were at fault (even partially), then it's a claim against their insurance. Or, they may even have insurance coverage for guests in no-fault situations. Similarly, your own home owners policy may have provisions that allow you to recover when you hurt yourself at home, and some even have coverage when you hurt yourself somewhere else. These are issues of what your policy coverage is. It all comes down to the contract.
    Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC | Dewey N. Hayes
    perhaps . the key question is-was negligence of homeowner the proximate cause of your finger injury ?. did you work for a construction co. with 3 or more employess? were you an employee or an independent contractor ,as defined by Ga. law ?
    Yes. If someone was at fault then you can sue them.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    Whether you can sue depends on who is liable. If someone else was negligent in cutting off your finger you should be able to sue them and get a judgment against them for damages. That begs the question however, whether the person has the resources to pay the judgment. It doesn't make any sense to sue someone who cannot pay. If the person has significant personal assets, it may be worth your time to sue them. Even if they do not have any assets, the person may have homeowner's insurance. Whether or not the homeowner's policy will cover the damages (assuming the person is liable) depends on the policy contract. You won't know whether the contract will cover this type of injury until you make a claim against the policy. If you know what company insures the liable party you can contact them yourself and file a claim. If not you will have to send a letter to the liable party and ask them to send it to their insurer. Most likely you will have to contact an attorney who will be able to do this for you.
    Law Offices of Tom Patton
    Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
    Of course it depends upon the facts, how, where, and under what circumstances the accident occurred, but yes, as a general proposition, home owners insurance can be available to pay for injuries that occur to a visitor to the homeowners policy. You should consult an injury attorney.
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight | Earl K. Straight
    Without knowing the circumstances as to how your lost part of your finger I cannot answer your question. Are you claiming that someone else is responsible for your injury, or are you asking if you can make a claim against a homeowners insurance just because the accident happened on their property? You can always make a claim against someone who was responsible for your injury. Making a claim solely based on location is not so clear cut.
    David B. Sacks, P.A.
    David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
    It all depends on whether your injuries were the result of someone else's negligence. If it was at your home that the injury happened, then no. If it was at someone else's home, and the fault of someone else, then yes, you can sue.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    If the injuries occurred on someone's property due to hazardous conditions, there may be case. There are not enough facts to give a more clear answer.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Depends what caused you to lose the finger.
    It all depends on why and how your were injured. Negligence of someone else will be helpful to analyzing a claim. There are also premises claims, auto claims, intentional injuries, etc.
    Tomalas Law Firm
    Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
    Whether or not you might have a viable legal claim to make for your injuries will depend on the facts and circumstances leading to your injury. (Simply the fact that you suffered a significant hand injury is not enough to determine whether you have a claim that is worth pursuing. Rather, it is necessary to know how, and under what circumstances, your injury occurred.)
    West law Office
    West law Office | Russell West
    If your injury happened due to negligence on part of a homeowner you can sue or settle with their homeowners insurance. Losing part of a finger and having screws inserted is definitely worthy of a case. Liability will need to be assumed by the homeowner if they were at fault. If it was a simple accident with no negligence they may not be liable.
    Law Office of Garrett S. Handy
    Law Office of Garrett S. Handy | Garrett S. Handy
    Maybe. Of course, it depends on the specific facts of the case. How did you lose your finger? Was someone negligent? I need more information in order to answer this question.
    Law Office of William Justice Whitaker
    Law Office of William Justice Whitaker | William J. Whitaker
    Dear Sir/Madam: Yes! You can absolutely file a lawsuit against someone if their actions either through negligence or intentionally caused you damage.
    It depends on how you lost part of your finger. Give me some more details, please.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    It depends. Who and what caused the accident? Was someone else negligent? Is it someone else's home/insurance. I am a former federal and state prosecutor and now handle personal injury cases so please feel free to check out my web site and contact me to discuss your case.
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    Your question depends on how your finger became injured. In order to recover personal injury damages in Louisiana you must have been injured due to the fault of another person, been damaged due to that fault, and that person has the means to pay or have insurance which will cover your injury. Certainly your injury sound serious, and you should consult an attorney regarding the specific facts.
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
    To properly answer your question more information is needed. I need to know the facts surrounding the loss of your finger. A homeowner's claim can be made against the responsible party but I need to know what the actions of that party was.
    Allen Murphy Law
    Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
    Yes, assuming you prove the homeowner was at fault. The homeowner's insurance carrier should cover the injuries and damages if so.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
    You can sue for the loss of the finger. You do not sue the insurance company. You sue the person or entity that caused the injury. They submit the claim to their insurance company to defend the lawsuit on their behalf.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    To prevail in a personal injury lawsuit, you usually have to prove that another person's fault caused your injury. You don't say where or how you injured your finger, but if it was caused, in whole or in part, by the negligence or fault of another person or another company, you may have a valid claim.
    Premier Law Group
    Premier Law Group | Jason Epstein
    That really depends on how you were injured. Unfortunately, there is no way to answer your question with any accuracy with the information you provided. You only have a claim against the homeowner if their negligence caused the injury to your thumb.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    You have not provided enough information to allow for a response. In order to give you an answer, I will need to know how you lost part of your finger. Who was responsible?
    Law Office of Joseph Lamy
    Law Office of Joseph Lamy | Joseph Lamy
    In order to answer that question, we would need much more information. How did the accident occur? Were you on your property or someone else's? The injury itself is quite serious and would warrant a lawsuit if the circumstances are correct.
    Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
    Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
    If someone was negligently responsible for your injury, then you should consider suing them. But you need to talk to a lawyer to determine whether you are likely to win your case, and if so, what insurance might be available.
    Idiart Law Group
    Idiart Law Group | Justin Idiart
    Whether you can sue for your lost finger depends on who was at fault for your accident and when it happened. Need more information. Contact me to discuss further.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    I honestly cannot tell. I do not have enough facts as to what happened to cause the injury.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney