Can I sue for personal injury after a misdiagnosis? 20 Answers as of May 11, 2011

When I was 14 I had what was I thought pink eye. My doctor told me it was nothing to worry about and gave me some eye drops. We came back to her a week later telling her it wasn't getting any better and I was having trouble seeing out of it. She again said it was nothing to worry about and to continue the eye drops. After a couple more day's she finally admitted to not having a clue what it was. So, we went to the hospital. Turns out it was shingles and I eventually went blind being told that if I had come in two days before I would still have my sight. They did 2 surgeries on it and later when I 17 they removed it completely. And as a result of all the steroids I had to be on I developed adrenal insufficiency. I'm 22 now and I believe the statue has run out but I was wondering if there is anything I could do? My parents didn't sue at the time because I was told that those surgeries would possibly bring my sight back. But now that I also have adrenal problems I'm mad, as if losing an eye wasn't enough. So I would really like some help.

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
The statute of limitations in Florida is at the outside 7 years.
Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
You should have sued for medical malpractice at the time. It appears the statute has run out. I suggest you consult an attorney to evaluate your case further.
I am sorry, but I am doubtful. Your statute of limitations expired two years from your 19th birthday. There was a case that was an exception to the two year statute where the same doctor continued to treat the patient and concealed the malpractice, but I don't see that in your scenario. I am sorry to give you bad news. If you can manage to give thanks for the vision you have left and each day you get from this one forward, you will, I hope, find some good news. Stay well.
Consult with a medical malpractice attorney. Consultations are free.
Patrick M Lamar Attorney
Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
In Alabama you are correct, the statute has run. It is a maximum of four years after the events claimed as negligent or wanton. Strangely, there is no exception for minors and, even if there were, the general two year statute would have run after your nineteenth birthday. I am sorry to give you bad news.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    Any malpractice case is a complex mix of legal and medical issues. You would need to prove that the mistake could have been easily avoided by other doctors and that as a result of the mistake you have the injuries. You need a doctor to establish these opinions. As to the Statute of Limitations, there are specific statutes and legal opinions that provide some relief when a child is involved. You should discuss these issues with a local attorney that handles medical malpractice claims involving minors.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Raheen Law Group, P.C.
    Raheen Law Group, P.C. | Wali Raheen
    I'm really sorry to hear about your injuries. I strongly urge you to meet with an attorney and discuss your case. This is a very serious matter and you should not depend on obtaining advice over the internet only. Most attorneys offer free initial consultation and in this type of a situation it may be a contingency arrangement - so you have nothing to loose but everything to gain by contacting a local attorney. Good luck!
    Sorry for your struggle and for the bad judgment of your parents. You had 3 years from the date of the misdiagnosis or in the case of a minor (you) 3 years from your 18th birthday.
    Since you were a minor the one year statute of limitations didn't start running until you were 18 However it appears to be too late since you are 22.
    I believe the statute of limitations has expired. The statute of limitations Is tolled while you are a minor. However, once you are 18 years of age, you have one year to bring suit if the SOL would have expired but for you being a minor. The SOL, which is three years, normally begins to run the date you knew, or should have known that you have a case. Thus, unless you could argue that you had no way of knowing that there was a negligent misdiagnosis until you were 19, the SOL has expired. Even though there was misdiagnosis, it doesn't mean you had a viable suit even if you had brought it in time. If a reasonable doctor under the circumstances could have missed the diagnosis, then there is no negligence and no case. In other words. Not all misdiagnoses are malpractice.
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. The statute of limitations is two years in a personal injury or medical malpractice case. In some cases, a malpractice case deadline can be extended under something called the discovery rule but the latest date for a claim in a medical malpractice case is five years from the date of harm. A minor as a year following his eighteenth birthday to bring a claim. For all the above reasons, based the facts you listed, you would be barred from bringing a claim.
    If it was in Alabama, you have waited too long to bring suit. Personal injury is 2 years from the date of the incident. Even if you were a minor, it is still too late.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Need medical malpractice attorney but maybe too late.
    In Florida we have a statute of repose that says you can't bring a claim more than 4 years from the actual act of negligence, so that bars you from bringing a claim.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    You certainly had a medical malpractice claim, but it probably expired 2 years after your 18th birthday. You should probably meet with an attorney to research the issue of whether you need to know and appreciate all of the damage before your statute commences to run. It would seem to me you knew of the malpractice when you were 14, you knew it led to your blindness and just because you had additional damage downstream, I dont think that would give you a new start date for the statute of limitations.
    Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
    Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
    I sympathize with your situation. Although it would appear that the Statute may have run, you should contact an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice who can confirm this and advise you as to possible options.. I do not handle such files but would be glad to refer you to someone who is skilled in that area and would answer your questions. If you need to contact me my contact information is below. Best of luck to you.
    Ciccarelli Law Offices
    Ciccarelli Law Offices | Lee Ciccarelli
    Friend. Thank you for your inquiry. Pennsylvania law generally places a two year deadline on the filing of a personal injury lawsuit. The two year decline does not begin until you reach 18. It is likely you had until your twentieth birthday to bring action. Under these circumstances, I do not believe my firm can be of assistance.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    This sounds like it could be medical malpractice. However, the statute of limitations on medical malpractice is two years. Considering the malpractice occurred beginning at age 14 and ending at age 17, and you are now 22, it is very likely the statue has expired. However, you should contact an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice to make sure (unfortunately, I'm not handling those types of cases). Good luck.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    I'm so sorry. You are correct that the statute of limitations seems to have run out. The time was tolled while you were a minor - but began running when you turned 18. Unfortunately, it 'ran out' on your 21st birthday. There really isn't much you can do against that original doctor at this point - other than, perhaps, report the doctor to the Washington State Medical Quality Assurance Board. It won't get you any compensation, but it might make you feel better knowing that someone has investigated the situation.