Can I sue for a movie that my minor saw and was very disrespectful in language? 3 Answers as of October 08, 2013

We saw a movie on the internet that I thought was not appropriate for any kid to see. They talked about homosexuality and cursed several times. She questioned everything said until I turned it off.

The Law Office of Nadia Lataillade, Esq.
The Law Office of Nadia Lataillade, Esq. | Nadia Lataillade, Esq.
No. As a parent, it is your duty to ensure that content is acceptable for your child. Unless the website advertised itself as being child friendly or had a url that would cause a reasonable person to think it was child friendly, i.e. childfriendlymovies.com , you do not have a claim. The internet is a wild place that is full of obscenity. My recommendation would be to only watch movies that you know personally, were recommended by a dependable source, or have a certified rating. You should probably stick to the children section of Netflix.
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
It is up to you as a parent to check ratings, read reviews, watch with your child, and turn it off if it is not right for your child. Since your child is 14, it is a good time to teach her to do the same for herself. The website IMDB has reviews of every movie. Teach your child how to get on there and read reviews. In life, you cannot protect your child from everything, but you can teach her how to gather information, make judgments, and think for herself. There is no one to sue. You are the one who picked out the movie and showed it to your child. It is time for both of you to learn how to choose movies that suit your needs. This can often be difficult, because many things presented as comedies contain material that is offensive.
No, the Internet is not subject to the same laws and regulations that over-the-air television is. There is a rating system for commercially-released motion pictures but that doesn't necessarily apply to films released on the Internet. And in general films are considered protected speech, no matter how they're released or viewed. It is up to a parent to determine what is appropriate for his or her child to view.