Can I sue for hospital negligence because of a miscarriage? 1 Answers as of August 06, 2015

I had a miscarriage at 21 weeks and found out in the ER I had a UTI and dilated 5 cm. The baby was healthy when I was carrying. I waited for a sonogram to see the positioning of the baby. They said if I was 15 weeks they could've closed my cervix but I was more far along so they would see what they could do. I kept asking and never got the sonogram the nurses only came in to see if my water broke and waited until I passed the baby I know other women who had premature baby's at 5 months and survived. How is it that the hospital couldn't save my baby can I sue?

These situations are very complicated. Medical science can only go so far. Yes there are other babies born that prematurely and do survive, but there are also full-term babies who die for no known reason. While it is possible that there may be malpractice, I tend to doubt it, as it is not obvious that a sonogram would have made the difference.