Can I sue for a former employer wrongfully badmouthing me? 4 Answers as of November 09, 2010

My old employer is making it difficult for me to get a job! I did not do anything wrong but did not like me for personal reasons (I did not like to go get beers with him).

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
If what he says is not true and it has interfered with your ability to get rehired, you certainly can sue that employer. However, truth is a defense and it sounds like it might be a messy lawsuit. If you would like to explore the possibility, call us.
If you can prove through admissible and credible evidence that he is making actual false statements of fact about you, then you might have grounds for a slander claim. Statements of poor opinion about you do not count. If you can, and are serious about pursuing this contact me. Even if you cant, a strong letter from an attorney will generally get an employer to stop making any statements about you, which should be your goal.
Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
Yes. You can and should sue for defamation. If there is no truth to the statements, he can be liable each time he repeats the defamatory statements to another. It is important for you to prove 1.) He has made statements to others, and 2.) The statements are false. As for the beer drinking, you may have other claims for hostile workplace or sexual harassment if his insistence in you drinking was motivated by sexual interest. You really should call an attorney. Most will give you a free consultation and set you on the right track in remedying the situation. He may halt his actions if an attorney simply calls or writes him.
This is a question best answered by a civil, not a criminal, lawyer. But a quick answer is you probably will not get anywhere. Proving damages will be hard to do.