Can I sue for defamation of character for people spreading the fact that I got fired? 1 Answers as of September 16, 2015

I was fired over the phone after business hours and a week later I received a call from another guy I met through my job telling me "he heard I got fired" through a employee that's still with my former employer. I have my own business outside that job and this guy was a person who donated to my business and I feel that's unprofessional for mangers to tell current employees my personal business. Any advice?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Defamation is spreading false information. You said " I was fired" What makes spreading the fact that I got fired a false statement? It appears they are spreading the truth, and therefore not a false statement. So, are you going to sue some one for telling the truth? You may or may not have a suit for the malicious broadcast of a private fact, but I do not know. The courts generally do not favor such suits. Good luck with finding a lawyer that will take your case. If you go it alone, without an attorney, you are even less likely to succeed.