Can I sue for damages if the opposing attorney committed perjury? How? 10 Answers as of September 01, 2015

I have recently subpoenaed documents which can prove that opposing attorney committed perjury by submitting false witness declaration under oath (attorney also signed his declaration under “penalty of perjury”). As a result I suffered significant financial losses and my business is ruined. Can I sue this attorney for damages?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You possibly have a case for fraud, but would need an independent lawyer to analyze the situation.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/1/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you can prove perjury, you pursue a criminal action against him, you go to the attorney grievance commission and report him, and then you get a lawyer to sue for damages.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/5/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
We would have to know a lot more about the circumstances, context, etc as well as seeing the actual documents you are referring to.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/5/2015
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Possibly, it depends upon the strength of your evidence. You couldn't sue the attorney for legal malpractice, per se, as he didn't represent you. But, theories such as negligent infliction of emotional distress, tortious interference with contract, etc., could allow you to proceed. And, you could possibly tap his legal malpractice insurance, even though he didn't represent you, by alleging that his conduct breached attorney ethical rules. Certainly, this matter needs to be fully discussed, in order to ascertain the strength of your case, and amount of damages.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/5/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Probably yes. You may have other remedies as well. Contort of court as to the lay witnesses; a professional grievance with the Bar disciplinary authority in your state. Consult your lawyer and check and double-check your proof to be sure it is absolutely solid. After all, you are attacking other people's reputation and position in the community.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/4/2015
Click to View More Answers: