Can I sue a County Sheriff's department? 6 Answers as of April 11, 2013

On March 28th my husband started getting threatening voice mails and so did I, I went and changed my phone number but my husband did not. He has received voice mails everyday for about 2 weeks now and most of them threatened my life. On March 30 I called the police department to file a report and on March 31 an officer come out to talk to me and stated that its just someone trying to scare me. There has been more than one time where the person has left things in my barn and a note on my truck. Again, I called the police department again and again the same officer came out he read the note and again stated that it was someone trying to scare me. On Thursday I called the police department again because of another death treat and they told me that they would tell the officer that has the case when he returned back to work on Sunday. I have asked many time to have numbers traced and on April 9 after calling the chief of police the day before, the same officer come out to my house again and made me fill out a police report stating everything that happened from when it started in March. The harassment and death threats are still happening and still nothing has been done.

No. If you know who the person is, get a restraining order.
Mark A. Manning, PC. | Mark A. Manning
In Michigan you cannot sue the police department for doing their jobs. They are typically covered by governmental immunity.
Well you ca talk to the Sheriff directly and tell him that you are going to get an attorney and sue if nothing is done to find out and deal with this situation. That usually gets the person's attention. Also threaten to go to the media.
Been done by whom? You think the sheriff's department is GOD. Do you think all of the unsolved homicides in the United States are the result of police not trying hard enough? Do you think the police are guarantors of your safety? Have you made any effort to trace the calls yourself? Have you retained a private attorney to investigate? What role are you supposed to play in the entire thing? nothing? To answer your question: YES You can sue.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You have no grounds to sue anyone (other than perhaps the person making the threats). You cannot expect law enforcement to have someone conduct surveillance on your property to catch the bad guy. Police departments have limited resources, and they have to decide how to use those limited resources for the sake of the entire community. Nonetheless, you should continue to contact the police whenever you receive a threat, and I am certain that they are taking this seriously. You might wish to hire a private investigator/bodyguard to conduct surveillance on your property in an effort to catch the wrongdoer while protecting you from harm.
    All you can do is report it and move up the feed chain so someone will do something. You likely can only sue if you have evidence that the Sheriffs were involved.