Can I sue the company for wrongfully accusing me of theft and taking 2.5 years of my life? 1 Answers as of September 23, 2016

I was terminated by my employer for stealing which I have not done. Months later, it was turned over to the DA and I was arrested at my home. I hired an attorney and refused to take any deals with the state prosecutors. Due to me refusing to take the deal, they made my life a nightmare by rescheduling my trial. I did not want to demand a trial due to some judges not liking that. I was out on $50,000 bond. After 2.5 years, my case was finally put in front of a judge and 15 minutes later I was found not guilty. I paid attorney fees in thousands. There were 2 articles written about me and this case.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
You almost certainly will not be able to sue anyone. There is no such thing as a finding of "innocence." In criminal law, the only possible verdicts are guilty or not guilty. You were found "not guilty." That does NOT mean you were found innocent, it simply means that there was insufficient evidence to convict you. The charging process is rather involved. To charge someone with a crime, the patrolman who witnessed the crime or the detective who investigated the crime must take all relevant information to the County prosecuting attorney. If and only if the prosecutor believes that there is sufficient evidence to charge someone with a crime, the prosecutor will endorse the charges. Before someone is actually charged, the charging information and the probable cause affidavit must be reviewed by a judge who determines that there is sufficient probable cause for the charges. All of this is to say that it would be highly unlikely that you would be able to prove, in a court of law, that store personnel did not have a good faith belief for alerting the authorities, in the first place. If the matter was disposed of in a 15 minute bench trial, that could have been done at least 2 years earlier. Your own attorney is the best source of this information as there are very many variables which would be entirely unknown to an outsider like myself.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/23/2016
Click to View More Answers: