Can I sue the city for breaking my foot on a pothole? 3 Answers as of September 15, 2015

I step in a pothole in front of my apartment building in Studio City California and broke my right foot.
I have been unable to work or drive for two weeks. I have not heard from the owner of the building, the manager said she is out of the country.
What do I do ? I have had no income for two weeks and won't for another 4 weeks probably.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Who's property did this occur? City or apartment building? You will need to file a claim against the City of LA, if the pothole was on the City property.If the apartment owned the sidewalk or property area you amy need to bring them in too.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/15/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Be aware of the 6-month claim-filing limit for City claims. The City gets a lot of these claims and defends them vigorously. These can be difficult cases; you should see an injury lawyer ASAP.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You do not supply enough information for any of us to know whether you have a cause of action or not. "pothole" normally refers to a ?hole in the street surface, but the building owner has no ownership interest or control over the street as opposed to the sidewalk. The major issue is whether the City knew or reasonably should have known of the defect; you must file a claim against a political entity within 6 months of the date of the incident. Speak to some local plaintiff's attorney's who handle trip and fall cases as to whether you have a case worth pursuing. ?Public entities normally refuse to pay any claims on this type of accident.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2015
Click to View More Answers: