Can I sue the cab company for uninsured cab driver? 11 Answers as of September 12, 2013

I was rear ended by a cab driver and later found out his policy was lapsed. Can I sue the cab company for having an uninsured cab driver on the road?

David P. Slater, esq.
David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
Were you seriously injured?
Vasilaros Legal,LLC
Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
It is possible but I would have to know more about the relationship between the driver and the company, as well as the ownership of the car involved. If the car was owned by the cab company, then its insurer should pay damages regardless of the driver's policy lapse.
Only if you have injuries that go unpaid.
Sue the cab co. problem might be that he is an independent contractor.
You can probably sue the cab company for the damage its driver cause, unless the driver is considered an independent contractor.
    Maybe. It depends on whether the cab driver is an independent contractor. Your easiest route would be to make a collision claim and a uninsured motorist claim (if you were hurt) with your own insurance and let them worry about getting their money back.
    Yes. Sue the owner of the cab, the driver of the cab, and the company which has the logos and signs and phone numbers all over the cab.
    Pivotal Law Group, PLLC
    Pivotal Law Group, PLLC | Christopher L. Thayer
    Most likely. There are special provisions relating to taxi cabs in Washington, and Seattle in particular. You should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area to help you with this.
    In Florida, the owner of a vehicle is as responsible for injuries caused by the vehicle as the driver is, so the answer to your question is YES.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    The cab company has insurance. Your attorney will explain.
    DUSTIN DEISSNER
    DUSTIN DEISSNER | DUSTIN DEISSNER
    Most likely the cab company uses drivers who are independent contractors to avoid liability. However they might be found negligent for not making sure their drivers had insurance. Send a letter to the cab company asserting a claim and see what they say.