Can I sue a lawyer if I felt misrepresented during my divorce proceedings? 1 Answers as of January 25, 2011

What is the statute of limitations for a divorce judgment in the state of Michigan? I currently live in a different state than where I got divorced, is it possible to sue the lawyer from here if I felt misrepresented during my divorce proceedings?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Colucci and Associates
Colucci and Associates | Paul Colucci
You are asking about a malpractice action. To prove malpractice, you have to be more than simply dissatisfied with the outcome of the case. You will be required to prove a departure from the standard of practice generally used by attorneys in the area and that this departure caused you financial loss. This can be a very difficult matter to prove. The statute of limitations is generally two years but there are circumstances which may affect when the statute begins to run. Finally, you will probably have to sue the attorney in the state where the underlying case was filed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: