Can I sue an attorney for misrepresentation if the car accident case was settled? 10 Answers as of February 25, 2013

I never knew laws about car wrecks until I was in one. The attorney I hired done everything wrong. Now I'm having to deal with the ramifications of his negligence. But the case was settled. And it's sad that he was suppose to know laws.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
It depends on what happened after the case was settled. You should contact an attorney with all the details of what you think the attorney did wrong and how that has damaged you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/25/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Get a legal malpractice attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/25/2013
David P. Slater, esq.
David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
If you agreed to the settlement, no.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/21/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Did not tell me anything. The lawyer probably knows everything he needs to know. It sounds like you did not know what was happening. Why don't you get a lawyer you trust to go over the case with you and explain what went down and why. Chances are you had a small case. insurance companies increasingly don't pay for small cases. it is embarrassing but jurors are not giving decent verdicts in small cases, and if a chiropractor was involved I can assure you that most jurors ignore them.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 2/21/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
If he made mistakes, you could sue him for malpractice (or negligence, carelessness). Talk to another personal injury attorney to review what your lawyer did.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/21/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Your first step is to sit down with your lawyer and (politely) discuss your disappointment and ask him to justify the outcome. If that does not work, you could potentially sue him for malpractice. You could also file a grievance with the Office of Lawyer Regulation, since among the first Rules governing lawyers is that they must be competent and diligent.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 2/21/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You can sue, but can you win? That's the real question. You really don't give enough info as to the facts of the underlying case and how it was handled for me, or anyone else to adequately answer your question. I will tell you, though, you will have to prove that the lawyer failed to follow community standards in handling your case and that his failure to follow protocol caused you to be injured and/or damaged. Odds are you will not be able to do that. These kind of cases are very difficult to prove and win. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/21/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    Well since you are not giving any specific facts to your allegations I cannot give you a competent answer, but I will say the case could not have been settled without your agreement before hand, and your representation that you now have this vast knowledge of tort law as it relates to automobile accidents that allows you to determine with certainty that former counsel was negligent is very interesting to say the least.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 2/21/2013
    W Morris Taylor, PC | W Morris Taylor
    Yes, there is the possibility you can sue your lawyer if his representation was sub standard. These are complex matters & you should hire an atty who knows this area well.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 2/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: