Can I sue after being falsely accused of shoplifting? 1 Answers as of April 20, 2011

I was hired at a company, but my job offer was taken back due to a shoplifting charge that I clearly and honestly made aware to them. Can I sue them for this incident?

Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
You cannot sue the company that refuses to give you the job, but may sue the company that falsely accused you of shoplifting. The question is, Why did you tell a prospective employer that you were charged with shoplifting, when the charge was dismissed or not brought? That doesn't make sense to me. And, finally, it depends on the facts of what happened at the shoplifting incident. If you were held in custody of a time, more damages, if given a summons and someone didn't show up for court, not a good case. And in either case, you can't get consequential damages for lost wages.
Answer Applies to: Maine