Can I strengthen my chances in Oregon to obtain child custody while on probation? 1 Answers as of March 21, 2011

I am in a stable household, and have been sober for a significant amount of time. I had a history of drug use, which is why my son has not lived with me for 6 years, and is with his biological father. How can I gain custody of my 12 year old if I am on probation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
You can file for custody, the same as any other person in any other situation. There is no "magic bullet" that will get you full custody. The court will look at your situation, the father's situation, and try to figure out what would be best for the child. It is good that you are stable and that you are sober, that can only help you. Again though, there is no easy answer to this question. The best advice I can give is to talk to a family law attorney about your situation. Once an attorney has the full picture, they can give you a much better idea of the kind of work that would be involved and at least a rough idea on if you would be successful or not. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 3/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: