Can I stop my divorce? 24 Answers as of April 27, 2011

My husband and I are going through a divorce. We have filed our judgment packet and there is a child support order in place. I want to know what I can do to stop the divorce and terminate the child support order. We have decided to work things out and stay together.

File a Notice Non-suit. A party has an absolute right to quit any legal proceeding as long as that party has not "rested" its case-in-chief. Trust me, you would know if you had rested your case-in-chief and your question itself tells me you have not. What you need to do is this: on a sheet of paper, type or write the caption just as it appears on the papers you have filed. The title of the document is NON-SUIT (you put that under the title/caption).
A divorce can be suspended for up to one year while parties try to work out their differences. That usually makes more sense then dismissingthe matter since refiling would require paying a new filing fee. A Stipulation and Order must be filed to that effect. There are generally forms available through the Court Administrator's Office.
Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
To get a petition for dissolution dismissed, the moving party (the Petitioner) needs to file a dismissal and it would help to have the Respondent stipulate or sign off on that dismissal. If the judgment is already signed by the court, you can stipulate to, and file a motion to vacate the judgment, which means, overturn it.
If you have already filed the Judgment packet, you and your husband should quickly prepare, sign, and file a Request for Dismissal of the case, without prejudice, if the two of you have decided not to get a divorce. You should check the Court's website and/or the case file in Court - if the Court has already filed and entered the Judgment, it would be too late to dismiss the case, and you and he would need to remarry if the two of you wanted to be married.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
Yes, you and your husband may both sign and file a Request for Dismissal. This will dismiss the divorce action.
    Keri Burnstein, P.C.
    Keri Burnstein, P.C. | Keri Burnstein
    You must file an order of dismissal following a motion to dismiss. Contact a family law attorney for more information. If you cannot afford an attorney, then I would recommend you contact the judge's clerk and inform him/her that you would like to dismiss the case. Good Luck.
    One of two ways: Either remarry or file a joint motion to dismiss the divorce if the court has not entered a judgment of divorce. Congratulations on working it out! Stay well.
    Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr.
    Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr. | Alton William Wiley, Jr.
    In Rhode Island I know that if the parties reconcile before the final decree is entered the divorce action may be terminated.
    Working out an agreement and stopping the divorce proceedings is pretty simple. You should be able to use one attorney to assist you, and then he will have the option (if he really wants to spend the money) to have a lawyer look over the agreement for him. You will need to take the right steps to notify the Court of your decisions. I am so glad to hear that someone out there has worked out their problems and can stay together. That is terrific! Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    File a Notice of Dismaissal. If you need assistance, I could draft it and file it for you. Call me if you have any questions.
    File a joint request to dismiss the action. If the judgment has already been entered, execute a stipulation to set aside the judgment first. I can help with this. If you are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    You might be able to simply file a form Dismissal. If not, go to the court and ask the clerk what they need from you. It may require something from both parties or even a court Hearing.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    Yes. At your next court date, you need to both inform the judge of your intentions of staying togething and working things out.
    You can have your case dismissed. If there is a court house facilitator they canperhaps show you a form.Good luck.
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
    Yes. The two of you can file a joint dismissal to have the divorce proceedings stopped and notify the court. A call to the judge's secretary would be adviseable to let him or her know your intentions to avoid the entry of a final order.
    Who ever filed the matter can dismiss the petition.
    At this stage of your case a written notice of dismissal signed by both of you and filed with the court is necessary to officially end the proceedings. If the decree dissolving the marriage hasn't been entered yet the child support order you refer to must a "temporary order"; in that case, dismissal of the case will render that order null and void. However, if the child support order was entered in a separate, child support case you may need to take action to have that case dismissed also.
    When you say you have "filed your judgment packet," does that mean you have filed all the final paperwork to request a final judgment of marriage dissolution? If so, and you're now merely waiting for the court to process your paperwork, then you need to immediately call the court clerk's office and inform them that you do not want that paperwork to be processed. but instead, you will be requesting a dismissal of your case. You can get the dismissal form from the legal self-help center at the court.
    If there is a final judgment that is greater than 4 months it cannot be opened and withdrawn and you would have to remarry. If there is no final judgment it can be withdrawn. If the judgment is less than 4 months old you can open and withdraw. If you need assistance let us know.
    Law Office of Martin Blank
    Law Office of Martin Blank | Martin E. Blank
    If both of you want to stop the divorce, you can do this. There are many ways to accomplish this result. Talk to your attorney and get it done.