Can I stop Child Support if I don't see my daughter anymore? 8 Answers as of April 24, 2013

Involuntarily, I have lost my parental rights. According to the divorce agreement, I have visitation every weekend. My daughter does not see or speak to me anymore. I have tried to no avail. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
Parenting time and support are not dependent on each other. Therefore, the support obligation can only be modified or terminated by court order. The fact that you have parenting time means that your parental rights have not been terminated. If you are being denied parenting time, believe the custody and or the support should be modified, you will need to file a petition with the court asking for such. As there are certain requirements and procedures which need to be followed you most certainly be benefited from having legal counsel.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 4/24/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/24/2013
As to child support you must pay until the court says stop or your daughter emancipates.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/24/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Hold your ex in contempt for not forcing your daughter for complying with the court's order. You cannot stop paying child support.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/24/2013
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Child support is an obligation that is independent of visitation rights.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/24/2013
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    You can ask that the court order some, very minimal visitation, or you can ask that the court order joint counseling for reunification between you and your daughter. Obviously, the relationship has broken down (I have no idea if it's your fault, the mother's fault, or just bad circumstances), and it is important for your daughter's emotional well-being as she goes into adult relationships that you do everything you can to mend this relationship. Child Support is owed whether or not you are having visitation. If your daughter wants to see you, but her mother is not allowing it, bring the mother back into court immediately and alert the Judge to this situation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/24/2013
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/24/2013
    Bush Law Group
    Bush Law Group | James Falk
    In South Carolina a parent's obligation to pay child support is separate from their obligation to pay child support. Therefore even though you have are unable to visit with your child you still have a child support obligation.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 4/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: