Can I still work legally if I marry my boyfriend who has a green card? 7 Answers as of August 31, 2011

I have a second h1b visa and my job wants to sponsor me for green card but I don't know how long it is going take. I would like to get married to my boyfriend who just fit his green card but I don't know how it would affect my status to work?

Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
You can marry your boyfriend and it will not affect your visa. You will be here and work based on your h1b. You will have the choice to file and wait for the Employment based green card or if you file based on your marriage to a Resident/green card. Neither filing will give you any immediate immigration benefit. You will need to wait for the ability to file the Adjustment of Status.
As your boyfriend is a lawful permanent resident he cannot petition for your greencard as an immediate relative; but it will not affect your H-1B status you marrying him.
Most H-1B's will qualify for permanent residence under the EB third preference. It takes about 6 months for the labor certification and then there is a 6 year backlog (for most countries) for the priority date to be current to allow for the application for permanent residence. If you marry an LPR, it generally takes about three years for the priority date to be current to file for permanent residence. Please note that if you apply through your LPR spouse, you must maintain your nonimmigrant visa status (for example H-1B) until the FB priority date is current and you actually file.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
It doesnt affect your status at all. Marrying your greencard holding boyfriend doesnt give you any new status. He can file a petition on your behalf but there is a wait before you will be able to actually apply for permanent residence and get work authorization.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Yes you can.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You can continue to work in H-1B status if you get married. That is not a problem but you do not get work authorization through the marriage. If you get married before your boy friend gets his green card, you can get one with him. You must maintain your own status if he is already a permanent resident but his green card does not prevent you from pursuing one on your own through your employment.
    No.