Can I still sue my landlord two months after my eviction lock out? 1 Answers as of January 08, 2014

My landlord harassed me, stole from me and caused a lot of mental damage to me by refusing to legally evict me for almost a year and trying to do a self eviction. During this past year, he stole from me himself and he ordered my neighbors to sort through, discard, take what they want and move my belongings while I was out of town working. He also has walked in without knocking and threatened me, continuously come to my house several times a week (sometimes every day) to try to pressure us into moving out by threatening to come in our house and remove all of our belongings and take them to the dump. After all that didn't work, he shut off our water that he was responsible for paying, at a shut off valve he never told us existed. I went for two weeks without water until a previous tenant found out and showed me where it was just outside my front door. When I turned it back on, someone tipped him off and he came back and did it again. After about 10 times of doing this, he decided to take off the handle. Again I turned it back on. After about 10 more times of that he ground down the stem that the handle/knob attaches to. I had someone get it to turn on one more time. When he came back to do it again he couldn't turn it off because it was ground too far down. Obviously this upset him because now he removed my mail box from the sidewalk up front. During a 3 month period, he stole 5 mailboxes maybe even mail. All the while, he still was coming by and making his presence known by walking around my yard and shaking his head, sometimes having someone relay a message such as he was coming back with the cops to arrest us and then take all our belongings to the dump. I was too afraid to leave my house thinking that I might come home to no home, no belongs, no dog etc. I was a prisoner in my own home. He finally evicted us through proper court procedures 2 months ago. Is there anything I can do legally to show him he was wrong in his actions such as sue him for damages that I suffered?

Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
There is no problem in suing 2 months later. If 2 years goes by before you sue, you could have a problem with something called the Statute of Limitations if you reside in Wisconsin. Different states have different limits on time to sue so you will have to consult with someone residing in the state you live if its not in Wisconsin. Hopefully, you have proof and witnesses for your allegations.