Can I still press charges against a person in California after 3 years or is it too late? 4 Answers as of January 20, 2011

In California, late 2007, I was attacked and seriously injured (broken cheek bone) by someone at a night club. The police detained the attacker - whom I identified - but they refused to press charges at the time, even though I demanded to. We were both issued tickets for fighting.

Can I still press charges against this person, or is it too late? I have witnesses and most likely the police report is still available.

it is too late.
El Dabe Law Firm
El Dabe Law Firm | Edmond El Dabe
You can contact the police and ask them to press charges. You as an individual, cannot press charges. You may be able to file a lawsuit, if you are still within the statute of limitations. Note that the statue of limitations for personal injury in California is 2 years.
The Pedigo Law Corporation
The Pedigo Law Corporation | Brian T. Pedigo, Esq.
You say that you want to "press charges," but what I think you mean is that you want to sue the guy who punched you civilly. The statute of limitations for battery in California is 2 years. It sounds like your time has passed in California.