Can I still petition my husband if he has had 3 prior arrests for petty theft? 5 Answers as of September 23, 2014

I am a born citizen, me and my husband have been married for 3 years and have a 2 year old son. He did enter illegally to the USA about 8 years ago, he has 3 prior arrests for petty theft. He paid all his fines and did community service. Will I be able to petition him even with his criminal record?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Yes. Your criminal history should not affect your ability to petition your husband.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2014
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
It will depend upon whether they are crimes involving moral turpitude.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/22/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
You can probably get his criminal record expunged, but he still entered illegally, so I doubt he will be given status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/22/2014
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Hard to say. Looks like his convictions can be a problem coupled with the fact that likely he also needs a waiver.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/22/2014
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
You can certainly file the visa petition and it can be approved notwithstanding his criminal record. It is the steps that follow after approval of the visa petition where his crimes come into play and might (or might not) bar him from immigrating.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/22/2014
Click to View More Answers: