Can I still petition for my spouse for immigration if I was convicted of a felony? 7 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I was recently convicted with a felony for theft, can I still petition to put papers in for my husband he came here with a visa from Chile and has expired. Could I try to put paper in for him. How do I go about this?

Yes your felony will not affect your ability to petition for your spouse assuming you are a U.S. citizen. If you would like assistance in going through the process, contact me as indicated below. I would suggest a consultation by phone or in person and we can guide you both on what is needed. You may also email if that is easier and I will advise you of the forms, procedures, timing, and fees. When does your spouse's I-94 card expire?
Yes you can. Go do it.
I am not an expert in criminal law implications. I believe that you are able to petition, as long as it was not a sex crime but I am not completely 100% on this. Please consult with a local competent immigration attorney who specializes in criminal law. This will provide you with a better sense of your options.
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
Theft conviction itself is not a bar for you to sponsor your spouse.
Certain violent crimes with children will make you ineligible. I do not see a problem in your case. Let us know if you need further assistance.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Yes you can. Your conviction will not affect your ability or legal rightsto file immigrant petition for him.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    Yes, you can file an immigrant visa petition for him. He can submit an adjustment of status application with it.