Can I still get a DUI after getting my license back? 23 Answers as of June 12, 2013

I crash into a pole and it was just me in the car. I don’t remember them taking any test. They did ask me if I was drinking and I replied I had one beer. They just took me to the emergency room. Blood was taken out in the hospital. I was never given a report and the nurse gave me back my license the next day. I called the police station and they gave me a report number and told me it will be ready in ten days.

Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
Sure. You have a lot ahead of you and sometimes it seems like an extreme uphill battle. You need an attorney.
It does not appear that you have been arrested for DUI. I would secure a copy of the accident report and take it to your attorney. Do not push for an answer to this one as to whether you are going to be arrested for DUI. Likely, your license was not suspended on account of this and if you do not have your driver's license consider going to the driver's license office and getting a replacement.
Yes. You will get charged pending the blood test reports. Get an attorney as soon as you you get charged and speak to no one else.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
You can be charged with DUI even if you you have been physically given your license back. I would also urge you to contact and attorney skilled in litigating DUI cases.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
It is possible, it depends if they placed you under arrest and withdrew the blood properly for a blood alcohol test i.e. not an alcohol swab.
    Although it is possible for the police to arrest you after determining from the blood tests whether you were under the influence or not, if you only had one beer, no drugs within the prior 30 days, you probably will not be charged with DUI
    The nurse gave you your physical license. That does not mean your driving privileges were not suspended. Your blood will be tested. If the blood reveals more than .08 BAC, then you will be charged for DUI.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    Yes, the fact that you were given your license card has no bearing on DUI charging. It is common for testing a blood sample to take ten or more days. You will not be charged until the result comes back.
    If the blood test comes back higher than .02 BAC you can be charged with DWAI or DWI. Your license will be taken at arraignment.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    If the blood test from the hospital shows a blood alcohol level over .08% you will be charged with OUI. I am assuming that you are 21 or older. If you are under 21, then anything over .02% blood in your system will be grounds for the OUI.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Yes they can. The police and prosecutor will likely make the decision based on the results of the blood test.
    Yes you can depending on the results of the blood test.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    The police have a years from the date of the accident to charge you with dui, once they have the test result back.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    Yes. In Nevada the prosecution has one year to bring DUI charges.
    Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC
    Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC | John D Duncan
    Yes, depending on the results of your blood test, you could be charged with a DUI after getting your license back. Police take your license during a DUI typically, when you refuse to take the state administered test. Officers do this based on implied consent laws, which state that your license is conditional upon taking an alcohol test if you are suspected of DUI.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    Of course. Getting your license back has nothing to do with whether your will be charged with a DUI. Keep your fingers crossed and hope the blood comes back low. In the meantime, you have only 10 days to save your license. Contact a DUI specialist ASAP.
    Eutsler Law Firm | Robert W. Eutsler
    Yes. Because you were not arrested at the hospital, and because the results of the blood alcohol level won't be known until the lab work is finished, they gave you back your license. If the lab comes back with a high enough concentration of alcohol, you can be charged with DWI. Did you receive a document entitled Temporary Driving Permit? If so, give me a call. You have only 15 days from the accident date to take action.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Yes you can, you were probably tested by blood or urine and the test results are not back yet. You should seek representation.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    They probably sent your blood to the crime lab which takes a couple months to analyze. If the results are above the legal limit they will inform you of a warrant for your arrest.
    You'll just have to wait and see if you get charged.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    Yes you can. You should contact an experienced NH DUI attorney to represent you in this case.