Can I still get child custody rights if I have a previous DWI and drinking related charge on my record? 1 Answers as of July 15, 2011

If I have had a DWI when I was a minor and I had a failure to blow charge on my record when I was 22, can my child's mother take me to court and have me go to AA before seeing my 3 year old child. I am 26 now and drink only occasionally, I was just young and partying back then. Also do I have a chance still to get joint custody? I didn't know my daughter for 2 years because I was not on the birth certificate, but I've had her about every other weekend for a year now.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
From the facts you have described it seems that the DWI from four years ago may no longer be relevant. If you have had a relationship with your daughter for a year and no other problems, you should be able to enforce your rights to see and parent your child. You will need to formally acknowledge the child prior to filing any litigation.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: