Can I still get the alimony I was entitled to get? 7 Answers as of May 27, 2014

I was divorced 10 years ago and my ex was court ordered to pay alimony. He never did. Am I still entitled to the alimony? He was unemployed at the time and by the time he was, I didn't want to deal with him at all. Now, I'm unemployed and still single. I was just wondering if I could get it and how would I go about it?

Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
You can collect arrears spousal support for the entire 10 years.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
You need to get a court order to determine the total arrearage. Then have the sheriff levy on his bank account or his job. You will probably need a lawyer to help with this.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
If it was ordered you may be able to get some or all or it providing your ex has money.
LAW OFFICE OF JON RATHJEN | JON LAURENCE RATHJEN
Spousal support debt continues to accrue until the payor die, the payee remarries, or the court issues a new order. it accrues interest at 10% [simple] per quarter. The easiest wa y to collect is through a wage assignment if he is working but your best bet is to contact a family lawyer with collection experience.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
File for a hearing to determine arrearages. He still owes you the money. He may argue you waited too long but it's worth a try.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    I would suggest that you get an attorney to enforce the order and try to collect even the amount that is in arrears.
    Unless this court order was modified forgiving the payments of spousal support, the amounts are due plus interest accumulates at the rate of 10%. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore the best approach to enforce this order.