Can I still file for a chapter 7 bankruptcy if I have a job? 30 Answers as of May 30, 2013

I have a job, but doesn't pay very well at all. I had to take it after I was let go at my previous job. Is it possible to file for a chapter 7 in this case? I want to be able to liquidate my debts.

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Yes if you pass the Means Test. Contact a local attorney for specifics.
Joseph Lehn, Esq
Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
You can most definitely file a Chapter 7 petition even if you are employed. However, to be eligible you will need to confirm you earn less than the median income for your household size and if you do, that you pass the means test. Also, your budget should show that you do not have disposable income.
Ipson Law Firm, PLLC
Ipson Law Firm, PLLC | Michael Ipson
I depends on whether or not you pass the "means test" if your new job does not make you a lot of money then yes you should be able to file for Ch 7 and liquidate your assets.
Braunstein Law, PC
Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
Having a job does not itself disqualify a person from filing a particular chapter of bankruptcy. However, if the debtor's gross income is above the median income in his or her jurisdiction based on the debtor's family size, the debtor may have to file a Chapter 13. You should consult with a bankruptcy attorney to determine if you qualify for a Chapter 7 or 13.
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
Yes, you certainly can.
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    Yes, it is possible to file if you have a job. Most filers actually have jobs. The question in a Chapter 7 is whether you make too much money. The starting point for the analysis is to compare your income to the median income for the state where you live. The median income for a one-person household in Wisconsin is over $40,000.00 per year. Even if you make more than the median you may still qualify for Chapter 7, but it depends on your particular situation.
    Law Office of Susan G. Taylor
    Law Office of Susan G. Taylor | Susan G. Taylor
    Of course you can file, if you're not making that much money now. Contact me to discuss specific qualifications.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    Having a job is no obstacle to filing. In fact, if you don't have one, why file. The paperwork gets a bit more complicated but that's it.
    Yahima Suarez, A Law Firm, PL | YAHIMA SUAREZ
    Yes! You can have a job and file for bankruptcy as long as you meet all requirements.
    Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
    If you pass the so-called "means test" in Chapter 7, you may file under that Chapter even if you are employed.
    The Barrister Firm
    The Barrister Firm | Christopher Benjamin
    Filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is determined by a means test, so speak with an attorney to see if you meet the means test.
    Yes, you can be employed. You should come into see attorney to make sure you pass the "means" test , which if you made too much money, may disqualify you from qualifying for chapter 7.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    Certainly. Your income however must be within certain guidelines, based on your family size to be able to file.
    You are about to commit financial and legal suicide. Do not ruin your life and file pro se. Exemptions and keeping (or losing) vehicles is something that you will mess up without legal help. Save yourself from disaster. Abandon your pro se plans, and get a lawyer. It will save you money. How much you make, your expenses and your debts all determine eligibility. You need a lawyer to run the math.
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    You can still file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy if you pass the means test.
    You can still file bankruptcy with a job.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Yes, as long as you don't have significant surplus income at the end of the month (the difference between your net income and your living expenses), you'll be fine.
    J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
    Yes, you can file for Chapter 7.
    I would guess that at least 95% of the people who file for bankruptcy have a job. It is not having a job that would disqualify you. It is the amount you earn that might be a problem but the amount you can earn is very generous and depends on necessary living expenses and obligations of mortgages, car payments, etc. Everyone probably qualifies for one type of bankrutpcy or another unless the person has filed before in the last few years and is disqualified because of that. Some people are required to file a Chapter 13 if their income is too high for Chapter 7 but that is because they fail a "means test" that is required to be done if your income is higher than a certain income level based on your marital status and number of dependents.
    People with jobs file all the time. To get the paper work right, see a lawyer.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    You should. There are requirements to do a chapter 7. You should consult an attorney.
    You can be employed and file bankruptcy. Whether you qualify for a Chapter 7 to get rid of your debts depends on whether your income is above or below the median income for your state.
    You can file chapter 7 bankruptcy whether or not you are employed.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    Neuhaus Law Office
    Neuhaus Law Office | Gregory M. Neuhaus
    Qualifying to file depends upon the amount of your income and the number of persons in your household. If you are under a certain level of income, you will be able to file. Most of my bankruptcy clients are working, like you.
    Bodow Law Firm PLLC | Ted Araujo
    THOMAS G. GILL, P.A. | Thomas G Gill
    Yes, most debtors in bankruptcy are employed.
    Yes, you can file for a Chapter 7 if you have a job. The issue is how much do you make. There are income requirements to qualify for a chapter 7 case.
    Anthony Saunders Esq., PLLC | Anthony M. Saunders
    There are some requirements for filing for bankruptcy and having a job is not one of them. Whether you are employed or unemployed, as long as you can meet certain other requirements, most notably, the Means Test, you can file for bankruptcy protection. You should schedule an appointment with an attorney to discuss your income and debts to get a better idea of where you stand in regards to being able to file.