Can I still collect accident money if I am 4 years late? 22 Answers as of April 04, 2013

I got into a car accident at age 15. Now I'm 19. The reason why I am so late because I just got told that and I forgot about it. Would it be a problem for being late? Everyone in the car got accident money. I did physical therapy for a while. How can I collect it? What steps? And what proper id do I need to collect it. Would I need a guardian to do so?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
At this time, it is very likely that you have lost any legal rights to recover any money since it is four years post accident and you are 19 years old.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 4/4/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
The statute of limitations of 2 years probably did not start until you turned 18. I recommend that you file immediately.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/1/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Probably not. Too late.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/25/2013
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
There is a two year statute of limitations, which in your case starts to run at age 18. You have until age 20 in which to settle your claim or file a suit. It is suggested that you see a lawyer who specializes in personal injury ASAP. You are now an adult and do not need a guardian.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/21/2013
Graves Law Firm
Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
If you're in Texas, you may still have a right to sue because you've attained the age of majority since the accident and less than two years ago. You need help with this.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/19/2013
    Robert Kubler | Robert Kubler
    Get a lawyer. The 2 year statute of limitations is tolled while you are a minor. Thus you have until you're 20 to sue for a personal injury claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    You have 3 years from the date of your 18th birthday to follow up with a claim. You are of full age and can do what you please. If you had a genuine injury get you a PI lawyer. if you are just looking for something for nothing (almost nothing) talk to the adjuster yourself and see what he/she says. If the injury is small, slight and bills are small/slight there aint much to talk about.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    The normal statute of limitation for personal injuries is two years. However, that time limit does not begin to run until you turn eighteen. So, your lawsuit would need to be filed no later than your twentieth birthday, provided that your parents did not settle your claim for your when you were fifteen. To start your claim, you would need to determine what insurance company insured the at-fault party and then begin by sending it all of your medical records and then making a monetary demand. The police report sometimes has insurance information. If you don't get a response from the insurance company, you are not satisfied with the amount offered or want to go directly to a lawsuit, then your best bet is to retain an attorney to represent you for purposes of the claim.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 2/19/2013
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    In SC the Statute of limitations is 3 years. It is tilled while you are a minor, and then you have one year from the time you turn 18 to file suit. Since you are 19, I would assume the Statute of limitations has expired. I would not worry about what you gave up by not filing. If you have no permanent injury, about all you could get is your medical bills, which I assume someone else paid.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    Not to get into much detail, you snooze you loose. The statute of limitations on a personal injury claim is 3 years from the date of the accident, and I forgot is not a good reason, so no windfall here my friend, keep trying maybe you will find another way to come up with a score.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    The Traub Law Office, P.C. | Andrew Traub
    Because you we're a minor it may be possible.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    It should not be too late, as you recently became an adult.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
    Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
    In California, if you got into a personal injury matter while a minor, the statute of limitations does not start to run until you turn 18. So, since you are 19, you still have until your 20th birthday to bring a claim. I would suggest you get an attorney to help you file a claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Roberto Salazar
    Roberto Salazar | Roberto Salazar
    Since you were a minor when the crash happened, you have until one day before you turn 20 to file a lawsuit. In short you are not too late. That being said there may be other issues involved in your case. How many people were injured in the crash? How much money is left on the insurance policy or policies at play? You need a good lawyer to help you with this. Do not delay another day.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    too late. You have 2 years to sue.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You have 6 months from your 19th birthday to do something about it, if nothing has been done yet. Talk to an Alabama lawyer familiar with accident law. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    Assuming the accident was in Washington, you're OK. Under normal circumstances, you have to make a claim within 3 years of the accident. The one exception is when the person involved in the accident is a minor. In that case, you have 3 years or until you turn 21 - whichever occurs last. So since you were 15 at the time of the accident, and you haven't turned 21 yet; you are not too late to file a claim against the other driver. I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney for help in making a claim.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    You don't need a guardian if you are now 19. It sounds like the case was settled and the damages distributed. If you forgot about it I doubt that your injuries were severe. Your best bet is to contact the lawyer who represented the victims the first time around and ask him or her. (You can find out who it was, if you don't remember, by checking the public state court database, usually called 'CCAP.')
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis | Malosack Berjis
    In California, for example, the statute of limitations, for personal injury claims, is two (2) years. However, in some instances, the statute of limitations is suspended (or, ?tolled?) for a period of time, and then begins to run again. You need to contact a local personal injury to see if this would apply to your case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Abrams Landau, Ltd.
    Abrams Landau, Ltd. | Douglas Landau
    Children get a longer "Time limit" than adults in Virginia. Often the "time limit" (called the: "Statute of Limitations") is 2 years from the date of the car crash, but for kids under 18, it is until they are 18, and then 2 years. You should absolutely check with an experienced lawyer, licensed in Virginia, who actually goes to court and tries these kinds of cases from a real law firm in a real law office. The case is certainly more difficult due to the passage of time and the possible disappearance of evidence and/or witnesses. The insurance money may have been exhausted by the other victims' recoveries, so you may have to see what insurance was available to you and the other members of your household at the time. In cases of permanent injury, scarring, etc. it is important to get evidence of the costs, need and time necessary for the future medical care. A Guardian is not generally needed unless someone is under age, mentally incompetent or otherwise "unavailable" or unable to help in the prosecution or defense of their own claim or interests.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 2/18/2013
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You should call an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney