Can I still become a citizen if I was charged with retail theft? 2 Answers as of May 01, 2017

I am confused on what will happen when I apply for my citizenship.

Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. Were you charged with a felony or misdemeanor? Did you receive any jail time, and if so, how much? What was the value of the theft? What was the date of your conviction? Since we do not have all the facts, it is impossible to give a meaningful answers. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your situation and advise you of your options.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Generally, a mere charge of retail theft will not stand in the way of naturalization eligibility, if that charge ultimately is dismissed and court-certified disposition records are provided to confirm that the elements of the offense were not acknowledged in the court proceedings. On the other hand, a conviction not only can render an applicant ineligible for naturalization, but could have other harsh immigration consequences too. The intersection of criminal law and immigration law is particularly complex. It would be a mistake to initiate an application process under your circumstances without first consulting with an immigration attorney who, after learning all of the relevant details, could advise you about eligibilities, options and strategies.