Can I still be charged or fined or even made to complete drug program for a criminal misdemeanor warrant from 20 years ago? 7 Answers as of December 27, 2013

My potential employer ran a background check on me and it came back with a warrant for DUI dated 08/21/95. I was in a single car accident and damaged only my car and a brick wall. My insurance took care of all the damages. I admitted to the officer I was under the influence of nyquil, heavily under the influence. So I guess that's where the DUI comes in. The DA's office couldn't locate info in their computer until they entered my drivers license number. My license is and always has been current and valid since then. I've also appeared for jury duty at the beginning of this year.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You can be arrested on the warrant, but the police officer is probably not still around.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/27/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
I would get a lawyer and see about getting the matter officially dismissed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/11/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present, so it is less risky for you. Then the lawyer can try and get the case dismissed, since the evidence is probably all destroyed, and witnesses won't be available.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2013
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
Yes, although with a good lawyer you may be able to challenge the DUI allegations, many of the people involved in the investigation and arrest are likely retired or possibly deceased.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2013
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
You should turn to an attorney for assistance in addressing the warrant and having your past legal issue be resolved in full.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 12/2/2013
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Yes, you can still be required to complete the drug program. Warrants don't expire. Otherwise, defendants could just refuse to do what the court requires them to do and it wouldn't be fair to everyone else who complies with court orders.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 12/2/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    Sounds like you somehow slipped through the cracks. You really should not have a valid license. You should probably hire an attorney to look into This.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 12/2/2013
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!