Can I stay in the US after school? 3 Answers as of August 26, 2010

I was granted access to the US on an H4 visa. I have since enrolled in graduate school courses. After I complete these courses I intend on filing for an H1B visa. Is it likely that I will be able to remain in the US to work if I find a job when I am done with school?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is that you can stay, until your visa goes out of status, which is usually about 60 days after the end of your studies, unless you get a grant of the H-1B visa. It is a good time to apply, IF you have a willing employer who has passed his application for labor certification status. If you contact me and arrange a personal or telephonic conference, we can explore how I may be of help.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/26/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You will have no problem getting a work status such as H-1b in the United States based on your graduate school credential. You will most likely also be eligible for one year of work-authorized training period called the Optional Practical Training. This program will allow you to apply for a work permit and work in the United States for one year, sometimes even longer depending on your specialty in graduate school.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2010
Click to View More Answers: