Can I sponsor my wife, if we are both are underage? 2 Answers as of June 08, 2011

We got married a couple of months ago. She is 17 and I am 18 years old. I was born in the U.S. She came to the United States legally with a Visa. Her Visa is about to expire. I would like to sponsor her before her Visa expires. I would like to know how much everything will cost if it's possible to sponsor her before I turn 21. My parents would be okay with this.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
You are eligible to file if you are 18 years of age and domiciled in the US. If she entered lawfully, with her own passport and visa; and she has no other immigration violations or criminal arrests, charges or convictions, then she should be eligible for a forgiveness of her visa overstay and unauthorized employment. Please note that you will need to sign an affidavit of support and if you do not qualify, you may need to get a joint sponsor.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/8/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
You are OK to file right now. You do not need a specific age to file a family petition for a spouse. You do need to be 18 years old for an affidavit of support, and you are. If you do not have sufficient income - or no income, your parents or anyone else with either a green card or US citizenship and who has the required income can be a co-sponsor. Since your wife came with a tourist visa, the application (Called adjustment) can be file in the US without her having to go out of the US. The price varies depending on other issues that you did not write about (For example, has she ever been deported? Arrested? Filed some fraudulent documents in the past? And a lot more things I need to know). However, you can call me so that I can ask you all the questions I need an answer to, and I will come up with a price for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: