Can I sponsor my wife as an ex-felon? 1 Answers as of May 06, 2011

I was convicted of Felony Murder in 1981 and served 28 calendar years. I was released March 10, 2009 and I've been able to obtain financial stability, establish credit, buy my own truck and two other vehicles and giving back to my community by participating in charity events, speaking in AA Meetings, and entering the prison system and sharing my success and struggles with men who have also served more than 25 years in prison. I am currently under life parole but as long as I keep doing what is expected of me this parole will eventually be removed. I met a great woman and we have been together now for 9 months and got married November 29, 2010. As we became friends and closer I found out that why wife’s papers had expired and she had no legal residency. Now after being married for 6 months I want to claim her to become a legal resident and become her sponsor. An attorney just told her that because I’m an ex-offender, I cannot claim my wife nor be her sponsor. I want to know why? She's my wife and since when can't an ex-offender have a woman he can marry if he truly loves her. Do they want to make it so hard? It's bad enough ex-offenders struggle to get a job, and I praise God that I've been blessed with work. Now I want to settle down with my wife who is 54 years old. I am 53. Can't I have a new beginning? I paid with my whole life in prison and I expressed my remorse and emphasize. Please help us out and tell us if this is true and what can we do to overcome this mishap if it is true.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
Your conviction for felony murder does not prevent you from filing a petition for your wife. It would prevent you from filing a fiance petition, but you have already married so that is not applicable. I suggest you consult with another attorney who can review the your case and advise you how best to proceed.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: