Can I sponsor my New Zealand partner for a work visa? 6 Answers as of December 30, 2010

My partner and I have been together for over a years time and I would like to come back with him so i can finish my schooling in the US. I am a Canadian with a Green Card, would I be able to sponsor him for any visas? It will not have to be a permanent visa or residence, just a working visa.

The opportunity to have your "partner" come back with you with your F-1 or J-1 visa (with an F-2 or J-2 visa), is limited to whether you marry. Lovers living together (the moral issue of co-habitation aside), are not recognized as legitimate family units for purposes of obtaining immigration benefits in the USA. As long as the institution of the family begins with marriage, that will be the threshold of determining eligibility for derivative benefits on the part of co-habiting adults. If you have any other questions, you may e-mail or call to set up an in-person or phone consultation.
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
While you do not identify your gender in your question, I am assuming that you and your partner are both male. Unfortunately, the US, unlike many other nations, does not, at present, extend immigration benefits to the partners or even legal spouses of GLBT individuals. As such, you, as a Green Card holder cannot sponsor your partner for any immigration benefits. He must qualify for those benefits on his own. Assuming that he has a college degree, he might qualify for an H-1B specialty worker visa, or perhaps some other non-immigrant visa. He might be able to apply for a student visa, or perhaps obtain a visitor visa for six months to allow him to spend time with you here in the US (but not work). I am a bit concerned, however, about your referring to "coming back" to the US and the fact that you and your New Zealand partner have been together for more than a year, presumably outside the US. As a green card holder you need to be very careful about not being outside the US for more than a year, and not taking up residence in another country or you will risk losing your green card and then you will need to start the process for yourself all over again.
An employer that is offering him a bona fide position would be the one to petition him for a work visa. You cannot petition him for any type of visa unless it's for employment through a company in which you may be involved.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If your partner is of the opposite sex, you could get married and file for her / him. Otherwise, you partner needs his / her own qualification to qualify.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
No. unless you own the company that hires him, you cannot sponsor him for a work visa.
    You are not clear as to what kind of partner you are talking about? business or domestic partner? if business partner, please contact us for strategy. If you guys are domestic partner, I am afraid immigration law has not supported such union.

You are more than welcome to give us a call for further consultation.