Can I sponsor my nephew? 4 Answers as of September 11, 2010

Can I sponsor someone if I have a criminal record? I am a US citizen and I have a family member who is trying to get his visa.

Yes, you can sponsor someone if you have a criminal record. No, you cannot sponsor your nephew, unless you are an employer, or he is under 16 and you adopt him. If you want to know anything else, by all means call or e-mail.
Yes, your status does not matter that much for purposes of petitioning for someone who is not your spouse. However, a nephew is not someone you can petition because this family relationship does not qualify.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You may financially support anyone for the purpose of obtaining a visa. If you want to be the petitioner, then only certain family relationships qualify for petition (spouse, children, parents, siblings). You cannot petition for your nephew but you can be the financial sponsor for tourist visa/student visa and such.

Your criminal record does not matter unless it is sex crime against children, then you may have an issue with Adam Walsh Act and must prove that you pose no risk to the beneficiary.