Can I sponsor my friend to get a green card? 9 Answers as of January 16, 2011

A friend of mine entered the US through a visa. Can she apply for a green card with me being her sponsor?

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
No. Your friend needs a valid petition, and a petition from a friend has no legal grounds.
No. You need to be either an immediate family member or a bona fide employer as a petitioner. Best to you.
In order to get a green card she would need to fit into one of the green card categories - close family member sponsor or employer sponsor, diversity lottery, etc. Most of these categories also have a requirement to show you will not be a public charge and you could assist in that function but first she would need to find an eligibility to even apply for a green card (permanent residency).
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
No. Unfortunately only employment or immediate relatives can sponsor someone for legal permanent residency.
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
No, there are no immigrant categories for friends, only for family members, employees, investors and certain other special immigrant categories. You may want to contact an immigration lawyer to find out if your friend would qualify for a nonimmigrant work visa which could eventually lead to a green card.