Can I sponsor my friend to get a green card? 9 Answers as of January 16, 2011

A friend of mine entered the US through a visa. Can she apply for a green card with me being her sponsor?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
No. Your friend needs a valid petition, and a petition from a friend has no legal grounds.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/16/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
No. You need to be either an immediate family member or a bona fide employer as a petitioner. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
In order to get a green card she would need to fit into one of the green card categories - close family member sponsor or employer sponsor, diversity lottery, etc. Most of these categories also have a requirement to show you will not be a public charge and you could assist in that function but first she would need to find an eligibility to even apply for a green card (permanent residency).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/29/2010
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
No. Unfortunately only employment or immediate relatives can sponsor someone for legal permanent residency.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/28/2010
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
No, there are no immigrant categories for friends, only for family members, employees, investors and certain other special immigrant categories. You may want to contact an immigration lawyer to find out if your friend would qualify for a nonimmigrant work visa which could eventually lead to a green card.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/28/2010
Click to View More Answers: