Can I sponsor my foreign wife even if I am unemployed? 9 Answers as of January 07, 2011

I am A US Citizen and plan to marry my long time girlfriend working in Dubai. But I am unemployed now and I will file for social security disability. She is basically helping me sometimes financially since she has a good job in Dubai. But I want bring her here after we marry. Please Help. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You can sponsor your girlfriend, once she is your fiancee, in an application for K-1 Fiancee Visa. You can use your girlfriend's income as a determining factor, when she applies for the adjustment of status, once she arrives with the K-1 visa, about 3-5 months after you apply, and you file the I-485 adjustment of status, which will include the I-864 Affidavit of Support. You must marry within 90 days of her arrival in the USA, before applying to adjust status. If you want more information or desire to obtain the help of an attorney, you may e-mail or call me to set up a phone or in-person consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Your wealth has nothing to do with sponsoring your wife. File an I-130 and get your wife a visa.Stay married for two years then even if divorced she can become a citizen. If you divorce prior to two years she gets deported.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 12/27/2010
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Yes you may sponsor but you will need a co-sponsor to guarantee that she will not be a public charge after she gets here.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You can sponsor her as long as you have a US citizen or green card holder who is willing to be the joint sponsor for your case. We routinely handle cases like this in our office. I am happy to discuss this issue in detail. This normally takes about one hour and my fee is $150.

If hired for the case, included in my representation is fully analysis of your case throughout the process, drafting all legal forms, providing a detailed document list for you, preparing/submitting/tracking your application once accepted by DHS/DOS, answering any questions you may have during the process, working to clear out any delays which might occur and then conducting a detailed interview preparation prior to your interview (if your case has an interview).

If you would like to set up a phone consult, please let me know.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
For purposes of your affidavit of support requirements for your future wife, you can count your social security disability income (but not SSI) in computing your income and this may be sufficient for a two person household. If you do not qualify with your own income, then you would need to present a joint sponsor. Also, if your future spouse has a US job offer, then her future income can also be considered and certain circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/22/2010
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
    Yes you can. If you can prove bona fides of your relationship, the challenge is to provide sufficient financial affidavit. If you cannot, her assets can be used, or other co-sponsor can be used too. If you need help, feel free to consult us for specifics. Good luck!!
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/22/2010
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    You can file for but you would need a co sponsor if your income is too low.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/22/2010
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
    If you are unemployed and do not have regular income, then you need a co-sponsor, or you need to have enough assets to meet the affidavit of support requirements.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 12/21/2010
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    An affidavit of support must be filed by you on behalf of your wife as part of the immigrant visa process. If you are not working a co-sponsor may be used who can file an affidavit of support along with your affidavit of support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/21/2010
Click to View More Answers: