Can I sponsor my fiancee if I am unemployed and collecting unemployment? 10 Answers as of January 17, 2011

My fiancee and I have been together for 3 yrs, she came to US with a visa, but overstayed. We have been planning to get married this year, but I lost my job recently and am collecting unemployment, so what are the changes of sponsoring her.

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
We would need to know what's your immigration status. If you are a United States citizen you can petition for her and get a co-sponsor that will sign the affidavit of support.
Should be fine but you will likely need a co-sponsor unless your last year's tax return is sufficient and you find a job soon.
Yes you can sponsor your fiance. However, you would have to provide a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support. The co-sponsor must be over 18 years old, a US Citizen or permanent resident, and be living in the U.S.. They do not have to be a relative.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
If your income is insufficient or non existent you can get a co-sponsor and you will be fine.
You must be in a position to sign an affidavit of support attesting to your ability to support her and that you have an income of at least 125 percent above the U.S. poverty guidelines for a family of your size.
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
    You can have a co-sponsor.
    Messing Law Offices, P.L.C.
    Messing Law Offices, P.L.C. | John Messing
    You would need to find a co-sponsor who qualifies financially.

However, you must marry within 90 days of the date of her entry on the fiance (k-1) visa. If the deadline has passed, she is ineligible to adjust and her petition will likely be denied and she is subject to removal (deportation). The deadline cannot be extended.
    If you are US citizenship, you are eligible to file for your spouse.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    You still need to file a I-864 Affidavit of support, showing your taxes for the last year, your W-2. Submit your unemployment stubs with a letter saying you are currently unemployed. Ask a friend to be a co-sponsor. Friend must be US citizen or a green card holder (And show proof of that). Friend must submit his last tax return plus w-2 plus 6 paystubs plus I-864.
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
    Yes, but you will probably need a joint sponsor to prove that your fiancee won't starve to death after he/she enters the United States. Having a joint sponsor who qualifies under the law will enable your fiancee to get the visa at the Embassy.