Can I sponsor my brother and parents for green cards if I am a US citizen? 10 Answers as of September 09, 2011

I am a U.S citizen over 21 years old. My brother and his wife are currently holding New Zealand green cards. If my brother and sis-in-law come here for traveling under B2 visas, can I sponsor them for U.S green cards? If yes how long will it take for them to get the green cards (they can only stay in the US for 6 months maximum under B2 visas)? Also if my parents, who are Vietnamese citizens, come here for traveling under B2 visas. Can I sponsor my parents for US green cards? If yes how long will it take to obtain the green cards? Thanks.

Dear Friend, You must petition for them before they come to the USA. Your parents would be eligible to adjust status now, after you get the petitions approved. Your brother not so, he and his wife will have at least a 10 year waiting period before their priority date is current, and therefore eligible to apply for their green cards. If you have more questions, please feel free to call or e-mail me to set up an appointment.
For your parents it will be easy as they are immediate relatives. The process takes less than 4 months in most areas of the country. Contact me if you would like assistance with the process. With regard to your brother and sister-in-law the wait time will be 10-12 years. If they are anxious to remain here, I would suggest consulting on other nonimmigrant options that would allow them to stay in the short term and hopefully one of these categories would then also open up some option for a faster green card. If not they can continue to renew their nonimmigrant status until your petition for your brother becomes current. If you would like to schedule a consultation contact my office as indicated below.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
you can petition for your brother and your parents. It may take more than 10 years for the visa number for your brother and he cannot legally wait here for the visa number. On the other hand, your parents can file adjustment of status application with your visa petition in the US. It may take 4-5 months for them to get greencard.
Yes to all your questions but your brother and sister-in-law will not get their visas until years from now. Your parents will be able to get it within 6 to 12 months. So, you can sponsor your parents right here for an adjustment of status, but your brother and sister-in-0law will not be able to adjust here. They will have to go through consular processing. Good luck!
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
You can sponsor your parents. The wait will be 6-9 months. To do it lawfully the visitor's visa should not be involved. Your brother and sister and law are a different story, their application will take many years. It will probably be better for your parents to obtain the green card and apply for them. You need to speak with an immigration attorney directly. For a free consultation give my office a call.
    For brothers and sisters for their country of birth, it will take 8-11 years average. In the meantime, they may not be in the US. Parents are immidiate relative and there is no waiting time for them. Let us know if you need our assistance.
    You can file for your parents as they are "immediate relatives" under the immigration laws. If they are I the US, it will take about 4-6 months for them to get a green card. For your brother, he is a FB-4th preference and for New Zealand it is backed up over eleven (11) years, and likely to be longer. You can petition for him, but it will not give him authorization to stay in the US during the wait for the visas to be current, Consult with an immigration attorney.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You can sponsor both your brother but it will take up to 10 years for him to obtain a green card because of the backlog in his preference group. You can sponsor your parents. It takes approximately 3 to 4 months for them to be granted resident status if they apply from within the U.S.
    Yes you can sponsor but only from abroad, not in the US. Your parents are immediate relatives so you can start the three step green card process for them now. There will be no wait time. It takes about 9-12 months or more if you are not organized or the consulate is slow. For your brother, you can file the first step now. It will take about ten years before he and his wife can file for their green cards.
    you can petition for your parents as they are your immediate relative but your sister would have to wait at least 7 years before her visa would be current.