Can I send a cease and desist letter if my patent is pending? 2 Answers as of August 12, 2010

My patent is still pending but I have found that a related company is conducting significant research in order to develop a product that is, essentially, identical to mine. Can I send them a cease and desist letter or is there nothing that I can do while my patent is still pending?

Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
Unfortunately, you have no enforceable rights unless your application becomes a patent. It may be wise to notify the offending party of your pending application.
No one can stop another from doing research. All discovery and research would cease. IF and when they apply for a patent or create anything that infringes on your patent, then you can worry about a letter or lawsuit. Pending gives you the right to protect, subject to denial of your patent by the Patent and Trademark Office.