Can I sell my home, pay off mortgage balance and buy another home? 11 Answers as of March 07, 2017

I did not reaffirm my mortgage. I filed chapter 7 (credit cards). It was discharged on September 2015. I am current on mortgage.

You'll have to check your credit scores.
As long as the trustee has not held your case open, sure you can. (and you would know if there was still activity in the case).
Marc S. Stern
Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
Make sure that the case has been closed before you do anything. You may have received your discharge but the case may still be open for administration. Two different things.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
If your bankruptcy case is closed (they usually are at discharge but you don't say anything about it and there are reasons that they might be kept open) there there is no issue here. If you have a buyer, you can sell the house, pay off the mortgage etc.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C. | Ken Parker
    If you are current on your mortgage and the sale price will be enough to pay off the mortgage, then you should be able to sell it. You might want to check with several banks before trying to buy a new house. Mortgage lenders generally have some period of time that you have to be out of your chapter 7 before they will finance a mortgage for you.
    I cannot see why there should be any purely legal obstacle to your doing so. The problem is that some mortgage lenders may be reluctant to lend when only 18 months or so have passed since your discharge. But in your favour is that you made all the mortgage payments. It's worth a try. You may find that you have to pay a higher-than-standard interest rate for a couple of years, but you should then be able to refinance at a standard rate.
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
    Yes, nothing prevents you from selling your home and buying another home.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Should be no problem.
    Well you can certainly sell your home and pay off your mortgage. Whether you can buy another home will depend on whether you can get financing, so I recommend looking into that.